The Remodeling Excellence (REX) Awards are presented by the Remodelors Council of the Master Builders Association Pierce County. This annual event is a celebration of craftsmanship and superior remodeling expertise. To celebrate winners, REX includes an awards ceremony. Trades partners and designers are recognized alongside REX winners. Entrants are urged to attend and to invite staff, subcontractors, homeowner clients, as well as friends and business partners. This is an opportunity to show appreciation and support to all involved in a project.
REX awards are intended to recognize remodeling projects that demonstrate outstanding excellence and professionalism in design, materials, creativity, etc. Submitted projects will be judged by a panel of industry experts from various fields of expertise. Entries are judged in accordance with the following criteria:
- Special or unique design solutions
- Quality workmanship
- Use of appropriate building materials (compliments existing structure and design)
- Budgetary consideration
- Challenges and/or obstacles
REX Entry Categories
Please review the categories carefully and enter the category that best represents your project. MBA Pierce and our judges reserve the right to re-categorize any submission to a more appropriate category.
Best residential exterior project. Includes, but is not limited to, alterations to the exterior of a residential building such as porticos, porches, windows, dormers, roofs, and exterior resurfacings such as siding, stucco, etc.
2. Kitchen Under $45,000
Best kitchen project with a total project cost under $45,000.
3. Kitchen $45,000-$75,000
Best kitchen project with a total project cost $45,001-$75,000.
4. Kitchen $75,000-$140,000
Best kitchen project with a total project cost $75,001-$140,000.
5. Kitchen Over $140,000
Best kitchen project with a total project over $140,001.
6. Bath Under $35,000
Best bath project with a total project cost under $35,000.
7. Bath $35,000-$60,000
Best bath project with a total project cost $35,001-$60,000.
8. Bath $60,000-$80,000
Best bath project with a total project cost $60,001-$80,000.
9. Bath Over $80,000
Best bath project with a total project cost over $80,001.
10. Addition Under $250,000
Best addition under $250,000. Includes, but is not limited to, additions, add-a-levels, or attic build-outs.
11. Addition Over $250,000
Best addition over $250,001. See category #10 for description.
12. Entire House Under $200,000
Best entire house project with a cost under $200,000. A project that has remodeled or renovated a substantial portion of the building, interior and/or exterior.
13. Entire House $200,000-$400,000
Best entire house project with a cost $200,001-$400,000. See project #12 for description.
14. Entire House $400,000-$600,000
Best entire house project with a cost $400,001-$600,000. See project #12 for description.
15. Entire House Over $600,000
Best entire house project over $600,001. See project #12 for description.
16. Aging in Place/Accessibility
Projects that may include universal access/design features such as: no-step entry; one-story living; wide doorways; wide hallways; bathrooms with non-slip surfaces/grab bars; etc.
Projects that were created expressly for the basement area that do not fit in any other category.
18. Get Away Room
Projects that do not fit in any other category—an exclusive place to hang out or a refuge area to enjoy what you love. For example: a specially equipped garage, media room, billiard room, smoking room, wine cellar, etc.
Any non-residential project.
20. Historic Renovation/Restoration
Restoration of historical features and/or added structures that respect the essential historical character/architectural style of the original building design.
OVERALL DESIGN EXCELLENCE
21. Residential Interior Design (Associate Can Apply)
Projects with an emphasis on design creativity and/or a challenging design/layout, etc.
22. Outdoor Living/Landscaping (Associate Can Apply)
Projects may include swimming pools/sauna/hot tub areas; outdoor kitchens; fireplaces/fire pits; lighting; etc.
23. Open Category (Associate Can Apply)
Project may include trim and mill work; railings and columns; brick, stone or masonry work; tiling, etc. Green/Sustainable design & architectural design fits under this category.
Submissions for 2021 REX Awards are closed.
REX Entry Requirements & Eligibility
- Remodeler members and associate members in good standing of the Remodelors Council or Design Professionals Council of the Master Builders Association of Pierce County may enter projects.
- Projects must have been completed after January 1, 2019.
- Entry Fee is $100 per project
- Entry Checklist:
- Completed Entry Form, for each entry
- Payment for Entry Fee
- Project Photos (Maximum of 12 photos, 16 for 'Entire House' Category) At least 2 photos must be BEFORE photos.
- Project floor plans (Before & After, line drawings are OK)
- Project Descriptions (100-word Project Overview & 400-word Project Outline)
- Photo of Entrant (only 1 needed if multiple projects are entered)
- Complete Photo Release Form
NEW! Trades Remodeling Excellence Awards
MBA Pierce REX entrants are asked to identify two MBA Pierce Members that are tradespartners, designers, vendors, or suppliers per submission who contributed to the success of the project. Please ensure that you and your trades partners are able to attend the awards dinner to accept awards if selected as a winner. Trades Remodeling Excellence Award winners must be MBA Pierce members in order to be recognized on stage.
If you have any questions with entry process, please contact Events & Committees Manager Shannon Cox at email@example.com.